Applications are invited from full-time associate or full professors for appointment as Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory Senior Research Fellows, for a 2-year term from 2019-21. The Unit for Criticism welcomes applications from scholars whose research centers on critical and interpretive theory or the interdisciplinary study of culture and the arts.
Applicants should submit their materials by Friday, March 29th, 2019, at noon (CST). Letters of support are due by Monday, April 1, 2019, at noon (CST).
The Unit for Criticism & Interpretive Theory fellowship program was created with the support of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research in recognition of the Unit for Criticism’s central role in fostering theoretical inquiry and interdisciplinary scholarship across the humanities, social sciences, and performing arts.
Unit for Criticism & Interpretive Theory Senior Research Fellows are appointed to a 2-year term and are awarded
- $8,000 in unrestricted research funds (awarded in the first year)
- the title of “Criticism & Interpretive Theory Senior Research Fellow” for 2019-21
- funding for a manuscript workshop with one or two off-campus experts in the first or second year of the fellowship period
Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants should be full-time UIUC associate or full professors who are 0% faculty affiliates of the Unit for Criticism at the time of application.
Senior fellows may advise the Unit’s Director on programming relevant to their research and teaching during the 2-year period of their fellowship. During their term, senior fellows are encouraged, although not required, to participate in fellowship writing workshops sponsored by the OVCR’s office to assist them in applying for external funding to support their research project.
At the end of the fellowship period, senior fellows will submit a short report of their accomplishments during their term.
Faculty members who are awarded a fellowship for 2019-21 may not apply for another Unit Research Fellowship for five years following the first award year. Senior fellows may not hold a CAS, IPRH fellowship or other campus release-time award (such as from the Campus Research Board) during the first year of the Unit for Criticism fellowship term.
Applications will be reviewed by the Unit for Criticism’s Advisory Board. Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- the intellectual significance of the research project, including its theoretical or interdisciplinary value
- the quality or promise of the applicant’s scholarship
- the quality of the proposal
- the relationship between the research project and the Unit’s goals of advancing theoretical and interdisciplinary scholarship
Each completed application must include:
- the Unit for Criticism application form
- 2-page curriculum vitae
- a proposal of no more than 1,500 words describing the applicant’s current research project and its theoretical or interdisciplinary contributions
- a brief statement of how the applicant plans to use the unrestricted research funds
Letters of Support
Applicants must arrange for the Unit for Criticism to receive 3 letters in support of the application—one of which must be from the Executive Officer of the unit, program, or department in which the senior faculty member is appointed (if the applicant is jointly appointed a second letter of support from a second Executive Officer is optional). Executive Officer letters should describe the applicant’s strengths and they should also indicate their support for the fellowship award, including the manuscript workshop. Letters of support should be uploaded directly to the website. The other two letters may be from faculty at UIUC or other universities.
Applicants should submit their materials by Friday, March 29th, 2019, at noon (CST). Letters of support are due by Monday, April 1, 2019, at noon (CST). Please do not send hard copies.
All applications will be acknowledged by email. Applicants will be notified of the decision by late April.